NRI Court Marriage in Chandigarh
Indians living Overseas, officially known as Non-resident Indians (NRIs) or Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs), are the people of the Indian birth, origin or ancestry who live outside India. Overseas Indians are various individuals living abroad and who are associated with India by way of ancestry, ethnicity, nationality, citizenship or other affiliation.
Marriage between an Indian woman/ man (not living abroad) and NRI man/ woman is generally termed as NRI marriage. Further, the marrying couple should not be within the degrees of prohibited relationship (Provided that where a custom governing at least one of the parties permits of a marriage between them, such marriage may be solemnized, notwithstanding that they are within the degrees of prohibited relationship.)
LAW GOVERNING NRI MARRIAGE
- Special Marriage Act, 1954
- Hindu Marriage Act, 1955
- Foreign Marriage Act, 1969
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR NRI MARRIAGE?
- Passport size photographs
- Residential proof (passport/ voter card/ aadhar card/ driving licence/ pan card, ration card)
- Birth proof (birth certificate issued from the respective Municipal corporation, aadhar card, class xth mark sheet or pass certificate)
- Overseas proof of the NRI.
- Valid passport (expiry should not be within 6 months)
- If divorcee- certified copy of the divorce decree.
- If widow/ widower- death certificate of the deceased spouse.
- Statement and the presence of the parents.
- Witnesses- 2 witness (not being blood relation) for each party (address proof, passport size photograph)